
한국이 호르무즈 해협 항행 안전 확보 노력에 단계적인 기여 방안을 검토 중이라고 안규백 국방부 장관이 밝혔다. 이는 군사적 참여보다는 지원에 초점을 맞춘 조치로 해석된다.
South Korea is reviewing a phased contribution to efforts to ensure safe navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back said on Wednesday, signaling support steps short of military participation.
안 장관은 방미 중 가진 기자회견에서 이러한 한국의 입장을 피터 헤그세스 미국 국방장관과의 회담에서 전달했다고 설명했다. 그는 국제사회의 책임 있는 구성원으로서 단계적으로 기여할 방안을 검토하겠다고 밝혔으며, 정치적 지지 표명, 인력 파견, 정보 공유, 군사 자산 제공 등이 가능한 형태가 될 수 있다고 언급했다. 다만, 한국군 파병 확대에 대한 구체적인 논의는 없었음을 강조했다.
Ahn told a press conference with South Korean reporters in Washington that he had conveyed Seoul’s position at a meeting with U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth on Monday. "We said at about this level that, fundamentally, we will participate as a responsible member of the international community and that we will review ways to contribute in a phased manner," Ahn said in comments confirmed by Seoul's ministry. Ahn said possible forms of phased support could include expressions of political support, personnel dispatches, information-sharing and the provision of military assets, while stressing that no detailed discussions had taken place on expanding South Korean troop involvement.
최근 호르무즈 해협 인근에서 한국 국적 선박이 피격되는 사건이 발생하면서 국제 사회의 이목이 집중되고 있다. 이번 사건은 한국 해운업체 HMM 소속 벌크선이 지난 5월 4일 호르무즈 해협에서 미확인 물체 두 발에 피격당한 것으로 알려졌다. 선박의 선미 부분이 손상된 사진이 공개되면서 사건의 심각성을 더했다. 한국 대통령실은 이 사건을 강력히 규탄했지만, 책임 소재에 대한 조사가 진행 중임을 밝혔다. 안규백 국방부 장관 역시 방미 중 미국 측과 이 사건에 대해 논의했으며, 조사가 완료된 후에야 대응 방안을 결정할 것이라고 언급했다. 이러한 상황은 호르무즈 해협의 안보 불안을 다시 한번 부각시키며, 해협을 지나는 선박들의 안전에 대한 우려를 증폭시키고 있다. 특히 한국은 이 해협을 통과하는 물동량이 많기 때문에 이번 사건은 한국 경제에도 잠재적인 영향을 미칠 수 있는 민감한 사안이다. 따라서 한국 정부는 신중하게 대응하면서도 국제사회의 책임 있는 일원으로서 역할을 다하려는 의지를 보이고 있다. The meeting between South Korean and U.S. defense chiefs came a day after Seoul denounced an attack on a South Korean-flagged vessel near the Strait of Hormuz last week. South Korea's presidential office strongly condemned the incident, but said it was still investigating responsibility for the attack. Ahn said he discussed the attack on the cargo ship with U.S. officials, adding that Seoul would decide on any response only after the probe was complete.
이번 사태와 관련하여 한국의 안보 및 국방 정책에 대한 논의가 활발하게 이루어지고 있다. 안규백 국방부 장관은 미국 피터 헤그세스 국방장관과의 회담에서 호르무즈 해협 항행 안전 확보 노력에 단계적으로 기여하겠다는 한국의 입장을 전달했다. 이는 군사적 직접 개입보다는 정치적 지지, 인력 파견, 정보 공유, 군사 자산 제공 등 다양한 형태의 지원을 고려하겠다는 의미로 풀이된다. 안 장관은 이러한 지원 방안에 대해 단계적으로 검토할 것이라고 밝혔으며, 국제 사회의 책임 있는 구성원으로서 역할을 다하겠다는 의지를 표명했다. 다만, 한국군 파병 확대와 같은 군사적 참여 심화에 대한 구체적인 논의는 없었음을 분명히 했다. 또한, 한국의 대통령 국가안보보좌관은 한국이 미국의 주도로 설립된 '해상 자유 건설'에 참여할지 여부를 검토 중이라고 밝혔다. 이는 호르무즈 해협의 안보를 강화하기 위한 미국의 노력에 한국이 어떤 방식으로 기여할지에 대한 구체적인 그림을 그려주는 대목이다. Ahn told a press conference with South Korean reporters in Washington that he had conveyed Seoul’s position at a meeting with U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth on Monday. "We said at about this level that, fundamentally, we will participate as a responsible member of the international community and that we will review ways to contribute in a phased manner," Ahn said in comments confirmed by Seoul's ministry. Ahn said possible forms of phased support could include expressions of political support, personnel dispatches, information-sharing and the provision of military assets, while stressing that no detailed discussions had taken place on expanding South Korean troop involvement. Wi Sung-lac, South Korea’s presidential national security adviser, said at a roundtable with reporters on Wednesday that Seoul is reviewing whether to join the U.S.-led Maritime Freedom Construct to help safeguard the Strait of Hormuz.
이번 국방장관 회담에서는 호르무즈 해협 문제 외에도 한미 동맹의 미래를 좌우할 중요한 현안들이 논의되었다. 피터 헤그세스 미국 국방장관은 동맹국들이 '어깨를 나란히 하고' 서 있어야 한다고 강조하며, 도널드 트럼프 대통령의 '작전명 에픽 퓨리' 승인을 행정부의 결의를 보여주는 증거로 제시했다. 또한, 한국의 국방비 증액 계획과 한반도 안보에 대한 책임 증대를 동맹 간 부담 공유의 모범 사례로 칭찬했다. 특히, 전시작전통제권(OPCON)의 조건부 전환과 조기 완료 목표에 대해 안 장관은 미국 측이 '약간 다른 견해'를 가지고 있다고 언급하며, 한국이 미국을 설득하기 위한 노력을 계속할 것이라고 밝혔다. 이재명 대통령 정부는 2030년까지의 임기 내에 한국이 워싱턴과 합의된 군사 능력 조건을 충족하면 OPCON 전환을 완료하는 것을 목표로 하고 있다. 이는 한국의 자주 국방 역량 강화와 직결되는 사안으로, 한미 동맹의 미래 방향성을 결정짓는 중요한 요소이다. 더불어 양측은 핵추진 잠수함 건조 계획 등 다른 동맹 현안에 대해서도 의견을 교환했으며, 주한미군 감축이나 주한미군의 전략적 유연성에 대한 논의는 없었음을 확인했다. At the meeting on Monday, Hegseth said Washington expected allies to "stand shoulder-to-shoulder" amid rising global threats, citing U.S. President Donald Trump's authorization of what he called Operation Epic Fury as evidence of the administration’s resolve. He praised Seoul's plans to increase defense spending and assume greater responsibility for the security of the Korean Peninsula, calling it an example of alliance burden-sharing. Ahn told reporters Hegseth expressed understanding over South Korea’s position on a conditions-based transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) from the United States, and the goal of completing the transition at an early date. Washington had a "slightly different view" on the OPCON transfer process, Ahn said, adding that Seoul would continue efforts to persuade the United States. South Korean President Lee Jae Myung's administration has signaled it aims to finalise the process during his term, which runs through to 2030, once the country meets a set of military capability conditions agreed with Washington. Ahn also said that the two sides exchanged views on other alliance issues including plans to build nuclear-powered submarines. He said there had been no discussion during the talks about a reduction in U.S. forces stationed in South Korea or about the strategic flexibility of U.S. troops stationed in the country.
이번 호르무즈 해협 사태와 한미 안보 협의를 통해 한국은 국제 안보 환경에서 자국의 역할을 재정립해야 하는 과제에 직면했다. 단순히 경제적 이익만을 추구하는 것을 넘어, 해상 안보와 같은 글로벌 이슈에 대해 보다 적극적인 기여를 해야 한다는 목소리가 높아지고 있다. 한국이 호르무즈 해협의 항행 안전에 단계적으로 기여하는 방안을 검토하는 것은 이러한 시대적 요구에 부응하는 움직임으로 볼 수 있다. 이는 한국의 국익을 지키는 동시에 국제 사회의 평화와 안정을 유지하는 데 기여하는, 균형 잡힌 외교 안보 정책의 일환으로 평가될 수 있다. 물론, 이러한 과정에서 국내법 절차 준수와 국민적 공감대 형성이라는 중요한 과제도 함께 해결해야 할 것이다. 또한, 한미 동맹 강화와 자주 국방 역량 확보라는 두 마리 토끼를 잡기 위한 전략적이고 신중한 접근이 요구된다. 앞으로 한국이 호르무즈 해협을 비롯한 국제 사회의 다양한 안보 문제에 어떻게 기여하며, 그 과정에서 발생하는 도전 과제들을 어떻게 극복해 나갈지 주목해야 할 것이다. 이는 한국의 국제적 위상과 역할을 결정짓는 중요한 시험대가 될 것이기 때문이다.
| 군인들의 성형수술, 국방력에 빨간불? 🚨 (0) | 2026.05.18 |
|---|---|
| 손흥민, 4번째 월드컵서 부활? 감독 "새로운 역할 기대" 🔥 (0) | 2026.05.18 |
| 미국인도 배워야 할 한국인의 장수 비결! 🔥 (1) | 2026.05.18 |
| 2026 월드컵 한국 대표팀 명단 확정! 🔥 손흥민 주장, 이강인·김민재 등 26인 최종 명단 공개! (0) | 2026.05.18 |
| 손흥민, 4번째 월드컵 출격! 태극전사 명단 발표 🔥 (0) | 2026.05.18 |